Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Taking back the "Blonde Moment"

The other blonde and I have lots in common. For starters, we're both blonde (well, duuuh...) Also, we both have (at least) two legs. We both like to eat. We both walk a lot. I'm sure I could think of more commonalities, but you get the idea. We also have a lot of differences. I work for a living. She lays around all day. I speak english. She speaks...well....dog. When beyond the confines of the house or back yard, I move about freely. She has to be kept on a leash. I don't know that she is the smartest representative of the canine world. Our vet tells me she is a "genetic disaster." She's had some eye issues, and had to have surgery. Even after surgery, her eyes still have this puddling, sunken-in appearance. And her jaw is crooked, so her tongue is almost always sticking out of her mouth, even when her mouth is closed. It's like her tongue is just about an inch too long. Then, sometimes, she has these moments where her upper lip gets hooked up over her teeth, and she seriously looks so...well....dumb, I guess. Unintelligent. Not smart. Blonde. Blonde? Really? Is blonde supposed to be synonymous with dumb and unintelligent? And what about blonde moments? What are those supposed to be? And if you're blonde, and have a moment of sheer and utter genius, what's that called? A Brunette moment? Furthermore, can you be a brunette and have a blonde moment? Or vise versa? And what if you dye your hair? Do you see what I'm getting at? And what about redheads? What are they known for? Okay, I digress quickly. But let's go back to the blonde "moment" again for a moment, shall we? There are so many things in this life that can cause us to not think or perform up to snuff. Lack of sleep, for one. Controlled substances. Lack of oxygen (although I can't think of many instances when one might suffer from that!) Some of my patients say they have "chemo brain." Many women complain of having "pregnant brain." But blonde moment? I must admit, I am guilty of having used that phrase myself, but if you think about it, what it's really saying is that all blondes exist in this perpetual brainless state, and if you do, say, or think something dumb, then you've momentarily slipped into that state too. Hmmm....I'm not so sure I like that. Do we have a phrase that describes those moments where we, as blondes, do amazing things? Think amazing things? And what about those ordinary moments where no one else would see or recognize the victory, but in your own private life, you've just done something extraordinary? You see, I don't really think it's about getting kudos for being brilliant, but in this crazy world, where many of us feel pretty beat down, I certainly don't need extra ways to insult myself. And certainly not for things I really have to control over, like my genes. So, here's what I think. I'm on this path to be a better me. Loose weight, be healthy, and all that good stuff. It's not easy. I have hundreds of battles everyday. Choices. And often, those choices reveal my current state of mind, my perspective. I say, for each victory I can celebrate, big or small, each good choice, each moment where I turn my perspective and act on truth and goodness, those are gonna be my blonde moments. My A-HA!, Wooo Hooo! One more step in the right direction moments. Oh yeah! I'm taking back the blonde moment! In fact, I think I'm having one right now, and it feels good!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know one dumb blond. No really, I have a couple of genuinely blond friends, and they are all kind of totally awesome. I think you're on to something with this one. And come to think of it, I have the brownest of brown hair and I have LOTS of fun with no need to look like taylor swift :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad your jaw isn't crooked! bahahahahah

    ReplyDelete