Tuesday, March 29, 2011

No More Breeding for Me

Recently, I had to take the blonde to the vet for a check up. I suspected she had an ear infection. After waiting in the office for a few minutes, a very friendly veterinarian came in and began to examine the blonde and ask questions.

Vet: What brought you in today?
Me: I think she has a yeast infection in her ears.
Vet: Why do you think that?
Me: Because her ears smell like the Miller Brewing Company.
Vet: Is she having any other symptoms?
Me: Well, last night, she was shaking her head a lot and trying to scratch the inside of her ears.
Vet: When did you first notice the odor?
Me: Oh, about 10 days ago.
Vet: Why did you wait so long to bring her in? (she asks smiling, but I'm starting to sweat)
Me: Well, my son just had surgery, and I have been taking care of him at home and wasn't able to get her here. (I proceed to explain what the surgery was, and happen to mention that my daughter had the same problem, and thus, the same surgery six years ago)
Vet: Oh, so this is like, a genetic problem with your kids?
Me: Yes, it would appear that way.
Vet: Well, we won't be having any more kids, will we?
Me: Um.....(enter crickets)...well....um....no. Uh...we weren't planning to.

It struck me as an odd question, but it didn't occur to me until I had left and started to drive away that...."Y'know? I don't think I liked that comment very much." Kinda weird for your vet, who you had just met not ten minutes before, to comment in a very kind yet opinionated manner about your future reproductive plans. But then, think about it. She's a vet. She is used to looking at her "patients" in terms of breed. Genetic tendencies. Certain breeds are known for hip dysplasia, thyroid issues, cataracts, etc. If two breeding dogs yield pups with anomalies, you stop breeding them. So, I guess she figured I need to stop breeding too. One ear swab examined under the microscope, a 12 month "Well Dog Maintenance Program" to the tune of $39 a month, and an anti-fungal/anti-biotic ear drop for $45 later, we were on our way. Truth be told, I actually really liked the vet. She seemed to genuinely like the blonde, and I like that. As for me breeding anymore, it's highly unlikely. Not in the plans. But not because I produce offspring with genetic anomalies. I like my offspring, anomalies and all. Perhaps if I could be guaranteed a genetic blonde, (neither of mine are) I might reconsider, and then I could rename the blog Three Blondes Walking.

Nah.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! This gave me a good chuckle. Man! I wonder what your vet would think of my genes? Oh wait, we share genes, so i guess i already know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome!!! yes comments on my personal reproductive plans can be annoying. "So you didn't get your girl" or "are you still trying for a girl" OR "Wow you have all boys" to which I enthusiastically respond "Yeah AND I HOMESCHOOL them" hahahah Love you1

    ReplyDelete