Monday, March 7, 2011

Getting ready to play Barbies

I have this theory about playing Barbies. We really don't. That's the theory. Let me explain. When I was little, I loved to play barbies with my friend who lived down the street. We would drag out this giant bin with all of the Barbie paraphernalia we had....shoes, clothes, bags -- we even had those weird rings which were really nothing more than a plastic mini-rod you could jam into the hole in Barbie's hand. If you were lucky, you had the Dream House or the mini-van or the motor home. We didn't have the fancy stuff, so we made it ourselves. We would spend a whole afternoon erecting the most amazing "make-shift" Barbie house we could come up with, scavenging around to find random random doll-house furniture, small boxes and scraps of fabric - anything really. It didn't have to be real Barbie stuff. Barbie didn't know the difference. Then, once we had everything set up just the way we liked it, inevitably, it was time to clean up. Now, contrast this to the way boys play with their G.I. Joe and Transformer figurines. There's no real time wasted "setting up." As soon as the action figure is in hand, there's flying and crashing and those crazy automatic weapon/motor engine sounds all boys know how to make before you can blink. Imaginary walkie-talkie's come out of hiding, the sound of explosions can be heard, and well, that kid is playing. Yea. Like, really playing. We girls, we just spent all of our time getting ready to play. Our Barbie's never really did much, said much, or went anywhere. We may have changed her clothes ten times, and tried twenty different hair styles (note: Barbie hair melts when applied to a curling iron) but we never really played Barbies. We just got ready to play Barbies. Well, at least that's what I did. Then it occurred to me. I have kinda been doing the same thing. Only now, I am getting ready to do life, but never really doing life. I find myself saying, "I'll have cuter clothes when I'm thin." Or, "I'll get into hiking and walking and exercising when I get some weight off." "I'll be a more spontaneous person and do this, that or the other thing when I have more energy." All of this "getting ready to live" in my mind , but never really living. The truth? It's a TRAP!!! Why not be cute, go exercise, and be spontaneous NOW??? Just sayin'. Well, the other blonde is staring me down with those big brown eyes. Guess it's time to take the blondes walking.

1 comment:

  1. I think I had to write about a thousand posts before I ever got anyone to laugh out loud, and you did it on POST TWO. Show off.

    I also get caught up in the getting ready part, and I think I went through this same thought process a couple years ago, when I had to just GET UP AND GET ON with living already. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete